Nijmegen is some 16 miles west of Cleves. In old documents it is sometimes also spelled Nymwegen or Nimwegen.
The oldest documents listing Nijmegen and a v. O. is in 1242 when the Count of Cleves gives Cleves city rights and exempts its merchants from paying toll at Huissen and Nijmegen. Daniel de Ossenbroich is mentioned as one of the fourteen noblemen.
In 1473 in a "Leenboek van Gelderland".
Gerit van Ossenbroeck is feoffed with a third of the Tithes of Ewyck and the Boeningen coarse and small.
Tithes were taxes. Ten % of the harvest was to be paid to the Lord of the manor. Great were arable crops like wheat and small were vegetables.
Ewijk and Beuningen are small towns, some 6 miles west of Nijmegen.
After Gerrit's death, his son Herman inherits "die Sende" in Etwick (Ewijk), near Nijmegen in 1484.
We have not (yet) been able to identify what "die Sende" was. Probably a property?
On the studiezaal.nijmegen.nl website we easily identified 25 documents by searching for Ossenbr* and Osenbr* (you must use the asterisk as a "wildcard"). Some of the earliest in Nijmegen are:
Conrad (van) Ossenbroeck was an intriguing person, who lived in Nijmegen in the late 1690 and early 1700s. Documents show his name in many different spellings -including Conradus Ossenbruckum (Latin) which shows that he was a learned person, from a well to do family.
He lived in Nijmegen, which is only 16 miles from Cleves. He could very well be a descendant of the v. Ossenbruch family there. He could possibly be a son of Jacobus or his brother Willem, whose father was Caspar v. Ossenbroich.
In 1703 Conrad married Sara van Enschede (Enskede), who also lived at Nijmegen, but probably came from Heesch (S.W. of Eindhoven), where their wedding took place. There were no witnesses mentioned with his family name.
He became a bookkeeper and a deacon at the Evangelical Lutheran Community Organization in Nijmegen.