's-Hertogenbosch

In speech, the Dutch seldom use the formal 's-Hertogenbosch (it means The Duke's Forest) but rather the colloquial Den Bosch (which means The Forest).

In the Dutch war of Independence from Spain (1568-1648) 's-Hertogenbosch remained loyal to the King of Spain and was part of the (Catholic) Spanish Netherlands. It had a population of some 15,000 residents.
In 1629 Frederick Henry -Prince of Orange-, with an ingenius strategy and an army of some 25,000 men, captured the city. Although its population would remain predominantly Catholic, 's-Hertogenbosch would stay firmly in the hands of the new Calvinist Republic and churches were converted for Protestant services only. Look at how many churches there were.

's-Hertogenbosch had, als gevolg van de aanwezigheid van de vele kerken, kloosters en kapellen, de bijnaam van 'klein Rome'. Het stadssilhouet verraadde al van verre dit karakter door de vele torenspitsen van de bijna evenzovele geestelijke gebouwen. Dit stadsgezicht is gezien vanuit het zuiden. Geheel links de door de belegering van 1629 gehavende Vughterpoort. Het hoge dak met het torentje, in het midden van de prent, is van de Sint Annakapel ter plaatse van de huidige Hervormde kerk.
Gravure. Artiest: Anoniem. Datering: eerste helft 17e eeuw.


It was not until 1810, after Napoleon's French forces captured the city, that Catholics were granted equality and given their churches back.

The earliest van O-s we have identified in the 's-Hertogenbosch area is Maximaan van Osenbrug marrying Elsken in the town of Heusden (west of 's-Hertogenbosch) in 1603.
In 1621 a Margareta van Osenbrugge is christened in Heusden and in 1673 Johannes Jansen van Osenbrugge (born in Heusden) marries Anna Bosch there.

Evert Jansz. Ossenbrugh (also Osnabrugge)
born: 1652 in 's-Hertogenbosch, registered to be married, all in Leiden:
- 1st: 6 October 1674 to Trijntje Jansdaughter van Coesvelt (Koesvelt),
- 2nd: 13 May 1695 to Gelton, Judith Andriesdaughter, baptized Leiden 2 Nov. 1666,
      Their daughter Jannetje marries a van Graas; descendant of the Middachten family.

In 1676 Piter van Osenbrugh lived at Hinthamereinde and a Herman van Osenbrugh lived at the Kolperstraat. They were both "militair", with unknown ranks.

Josina van Osenbrugge, and her husband Henricus van Weerden, had their daughter Petronella baptized in the St. Jacob church in Den Bosch on 7 Nov 1676. However, it seems that at that time the church was used as a military arsenal. Read the interesting story here.

Oude Sint-Jacobskerk

De Sint-Jacobskerk is een kerkgebouw aan de Bethaniëstraat in het centrum van 's-Hertogenbosch. Dit kerkgebouw is gewijd aan de apostel Jacobus.

Omstreeks 1430 werd een kapel en gasthuis gebouwd voor pelgrims naar Santiago de Compostella. Deze broederschapskapel werd in de 15e en de 16e eeuw uitgebreid die tot de omvang, die het huidige gebouw nog steeds heeft. Het gebouw bestaat uit een driebeukig basilikaal schip met een eenbeukig koor. In de zijgevel is te zien, dat er gerekend werd op de bouw van een dwarsschip. Men is niet begonnen aan het dwarsschip, vermoedelijk vanwege geldgebrek.

Vanaf 1569 werd het gebouw in gebruik genomen als parochiekerk. Na het Beleg van 's-Hertogenbosch in 1629 werd het gebouw onteigend. Na deze periode heeft het verschillende functies vervuld. Het heeft toen tot 1650 dienstgedaan als protestantse kerk. Vervolgens tot 1668 als wagenhuis en begraafplaats. Nadat het in 1669 dienst heeft gedaan als paardenstal, werd het tot 1752 gebruikt als militair arsenaal en tuighuis. Het gebouw kreeg in deze periode ook meerdere verdiepingen. Tot 1918 heeft het gebouw dienstgedaan als militaire kazerne.

Het gebouw kreeg vervolgens de functie als museum. Het Provinciaal Genootschap van Kunsten en Wetenschappen, het latere Noordbrabants Museum was hier tot 1986 gehuisvest. Tegenwoordig doet het gebouw dienst als gemeentelijke afdeling Bouwhistorie Archeologie en Monumenten (BAM) en biedt ruimte aan het podium de Azijnfabriek.

De 18e-eeuwse voorgevel van het gebouw is in 1925 aangepast aan de functie als museum. Naast het gebouw is er nog een gedenksteen bewaard gebleven van een kazerne uit 1744.

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oude_Sint-Jacobskerk


Josina's parents were Hendrik van Osenbrugge and Petronella Houckgeest, who was the sister of the famous Dutch painter Gerard (or Gerrit) Houckgeest.

The "Brabants Historisch Informatie Centrum" (www.bhic.nl) database has several more van O-s, especially at later dates, but we have not been able to connect many names to develop even a simple family tree of only a few generations.

However, two other families are of particular interest, because they were buried in the Sint-Jan's cathedral.

The first family is Anna Ossenbrügge, married to Judocus Wylich (Latin professor and later preacher in Wesel). Their son was Willem Wylich, who was born in Wesel in 1608 and then studied in Groningen and Leiden. In 1639 the Dutch "Staten Generaal" appointed him as Stadhouder of 's-Hertogenbosch. A year later he married Elisabeth van Berenstein, who came from a very wealthy family in Delft. Her grandfather Paulus' fortune in 1625 was estimated at 725,000 guilders. Go for much more information here.

The second family is that of Martinus Friesma. He was born in Friesland in 1656. He was a pharmacist and medical doctor and settled in 's-Hertogenbosch before 1695. In 1708 he married Anna Ossenbrugge. She was the daughter of Wouter Ossenbrugge and Rachel Quaat and the granddaughter of the highly placed Matthijs van Osenbrugge, captain for Willem Frederick of Nassau. Matthijs is also the patriarch of all the Goeree-Overflakkee descendants.
Martinus, his wife Anna Ossenbrugge and her father Wouter van Osenbrugge have been buried in the Sint-Jan's cathedral
. Read much more about that here.

Is this the same Anna?
In 1703 Anna Maria van Ossenbruggen and Walterus van Ossenbruggen are witnesses at the christening of Johannes Kien, son of Valentinus Kien and Maria Muschet, at a Catholic church in Den Bosch. Read more here.
 

Disclaimer Copyright © Contact us
Statistics are private